Hillary has participated in cybersecurity competitions for four years and robotics for seven years. She is meticulous and detail oriented. Hillary developed the Ubuntu study guide for the team and is our go to person for anything related to Linux operating systems. She also taught herself the art of 3D design. Almost all of our robotics’ 3D printed parts are designed by her. Other than studying, Hillary loves sports. She has podiumed numerous times in Alpine downhill ski racing, won the overall league champion title in the Lake Tahoe League, and her volleyball school team finished first in several district championships. Hillary trains five days per week with her volleyball team. Prior to COVID19, Hillary plays the libero position for the Christian Brothers High School’s Freshmen and JV volleyball team. Currently Hillary is on the varsity team.
During the early part of the 2020 COVID19 pandemic, when there was a shortage of PPEs, Hillary organized a group of students to create PPEs and send them to a cardiology clinic in New York, clinicians in a local hospital, a pediatrician group in Elk Grove, and local nursing facilities. Her effort to protect the community was recognized by Mr. Lorcan Barnes, President of the Christian Brothers High School.
Currently Hillary has partnered with Heidi Spantzel and Norah Zhou to create a phone bank system. This phone bank is staffed by volunteers to register members of the Oak Park / Sacramento High community for the COVID19 vaccine. Oak Park is an urban African American community. Partners of this project include several prominent local African American physicians, ST Hope High School and California Northstate University. In addition, Hillary also volunteers at the local vaccine regularly to vaccinate employees and educators of the Elk Grove Unified School District. Goal is to bring students back to school and to bring school sports back in the Sacramento area.
Academically, Hillary made history in 2021 by becoming the first student from Christian Brothers High School to ever podium in Academic Decathlon’s State Final.
Hillary is interested in the field of bio-engineering. Her goal is to create medical devices that will benefit patients and athletes while maintaining a work / life balance.
- Predicting COVID Positive Patient’s Clinical Course. This project seeks to help identify patients who will require high flow oxygen in 96 hours of admission using machine learning with a fivefold cross-validation system to boost its accuracy. Findings submitted for publication.
- Explored the relationship between socioeconomic level and heart failure readmission rate. Findings were presented at the American College of Physicians Scientific Meeting in Carlsbad, CA on 10/2019.
- Using machine learning to predict 30 day readmission in heart failure patients. Findings presented at the American College of Physicians Southern California Regional Meeting on 10/10/2020.
- Examine the utility and efficacy of iPhone apps in measuring oxygen saturation compared to a pulse oximeter. Findings presented at the 11/7/20 American College of Physicians Norcal Regional Scientific Meeting, virtual, CA.
- Retrospective study on relationship between vision loss and contact lens use during teenage years. Findings to be submitted
- Study on how fresh water clams react under duress. 2019
- 2021 – Started an all volunteer phone bank system to register Oak Park community members for the COVID vaccine.
- 2020 – Created version 4 of Aerosol Box, to prevent health care workers from contracting COVID-19. This version is featured on an open source website and a Go Fund Me campaign hosted by a Florida philanthropist.
- 2020 – Visited senior assisted living facilities to promote cyber security with seniors in the Sacramento, CA
- 2020 – Created personal equipment (PPE) and donated to the front line workers in a cardiology group in New York, a pediatric group in Elk Grove, and a hospitalist group in Sacramento. These efforts were recognized by Mr. Barnes, the President of Christian Brothers High School.
- 2018-2020 – Mentor elementary school students to compete in underwater robotic competition
- 2020 – Applying for a grant to install solar panels at a local school.
- 2019 – Teamed up with Intel to host a cyber security camp for local youths at Intel Folsom Campus, CA. 46% of the students were women or minorities.
- 2021 – Third Place in Academic Decathlon, CA State Final. First student in Christian Brothers High School’s history to podium in this state competition. Highest overall scorer for the Christian Brothers High School team.
- 2021- Semifinalist in Conrad International Challenge
- 2021 – Advanced to State Academic Decathlon. First time for Christian Brothers High School.
- 2019 – First Place in Robotics team competition at the NorCal regional at Cal Maritime, Vallejo, CA
- 2018 – Third Place in Robotics team competition at the NorCal regional at Watsonville High School, Watsonville, CA
- 2017 – Third Place in Robotics team competition at the NorCal regional at Aptos High School, Aptos, CA
- 2017 & 2016 – National Semifinalist for CyberPatriot cyber security competition, USA
Teaching students about cybersecurity at Intel Folsom
First Place in Robotics Tournament 2019
Original research presented at the American College of Physicians Scientific Meeting in San Diego 2019
Emcee for FLL robotic tournament
Original Research submission to American Heart Association
Fuse Breakers teamed up with Intel to host a cyber security camp from August 5th to 9th. Campers...
Everywhere you go, there is a shortage of medical masks. Even hospitals are running out of...
Fuse Breakers donated a care package to the Carlton Senior Living Facility in Elk Grove. The...
Fuse Breakers spent a Friday evening with the seniors of the Greenhaven Terrace Assisted Living...
4/24/20Fuse Breakers designed and created Ear Savor / Mask Extenders for the front line health...
With the robotics tournaments canceled, the boys have lots of unused electronic parts. They...
Members of Fuse Breakers have been volunteering at the Special Olympics since 2014. This...
The Sierra Valley Medical Society put out an urgent request for the community to provide masks for...
Disposable gowns are used by the front line workers and the supply is dwindling. The Fuse Breakers...
Gallery of Awards, Extracurricular, and Volunteer Activities
MATE ROV Robotics Competitions -
1st place Navigator Class (2019)
3rd place Navigator Class (2017, 2018)
2nd place Scout Class (2018)
CyberPatriot Cyber-Security Competition -
National Semifinalist (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019) with invitation to compete in CA Mayor's cup (2018, 2019)
First Lego League Robotics Tournament -
Overall Tournament Champion (2015, 2017)
Project Award (2016, 2017)
Core Values Award (2015)
Judges Award (2014)
Inspiration Award (2017)
Advancement (2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017)
Science Olympiad, Division A -
1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place overall.
A non-profit 501(c)(3) organization.
Tax ID: 83-4602381
Copyright © 2017,2018, 2019, 2020